So it seems Stargate Universe failed. At most 10 episodes left if it didn't begin the countdown by now.
Plain and simple, um, Stargate Universe failed to capture the imagination the way Star Trek and Stargate SG-1 did. The characters were somewhat diverse, but not really people who you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant to be friends with.
The lesbian thing didn't help. Having Eli get a crush on the girl, leading the viewers on, and ended up having Eli left hanging didn't help. The Dr. Rush shrewd scientist thingie didn't help too it was cliche.
Protagonists are about people who you want to emphasize with and kinda share in their struggles as you watch them, and science fiction is about POSSIBILITIES. Science fiction is not about, oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh we lost in a ship somewhere!!!! (it's been done too many times by now and Star Trek Voyager did it best) it's not about boobs (sex is ok of course if it forwards the story not just for the sake of attention.)
Stargate Universe could have been really good, how I would have done it was
- I would have given Colonel Young piloting control of the ship very early on and let them decide on missions.
- I would have put Eli through boot camp on the Destiny. Eli has the brains but you gotta have the brawn too to survive out there.
- More battles and more aliens and more politics and scheming etc.
- More crew from SG-1 and Atlantis.
- Make Colonel Young and the rest of the characters more, likable to be honest. Were the Stargate Universe characters reaaaaaaally enjoyable company? Would you want to be in a room with them for too long? Would you rather be stuck on an island with Captain Picard or Colonel Young? I'd say Captain Picard.
- It got too mythological with the nature of the universe thing Dr. Rush was rambling about a while back cut that shit out it's sci-fi not quantum physics.
- More SCIENCE FICTION POSSIBILITIES.