Monday, November 5, 2007

Responsibility of the Synagogue

Okay so let me sidetrack for a moment. Today I was speaking with this religious girl who is a former friend of mine. Here is what happened.

I asked her to look at my blog. She says "I don't care." So I said, "come on, as a friend." And she said, "we're not friends." I said "why?" she said "you argue too much."

Okay so I'll admit that I like to argue sometimes but, I am a good person and an amicable person. She was just being to use a non-academic word for a moment, pissy.

The thing is she thinks she is punishing me by not being friends with me anymore. Oh no, I can just feel the pain now.

This is what would happen if I end up with a religious girl for the rest of my life - I would eventually end up bored on one Shabbat and play a computer game. And then the religious girl would be like "waaaaah why are you playing this computer game, God will smite you! Its the Shabbos!"


And then I would be like, "oh my God its just a computer game." And then she would be like "And you are just a sinner!!!!!"


Honestly, who do these religious girls think they are. She is not punishing me by not being friends with me any more, she is SAVING me from future possible harassment; I'm not saying I was interested in her though, no one knows what the future will bring, and she saved me from this harassment, at least from her.

Now of course, nothing is possible. Boo hoo. I do not know how I can live! I take that back, yes I do know how I can live. Who do these religious girls think they are? I'd say something along the lines of self righteous.

Please, religious girls, save me your harassment. I prefer my weekends to be fun, which is one thing that synagogues don't understand either.

Note to synagogues- if you can't find a way for religion to be enjoyable you can't expect people to follow it. In being the house of worship for us Jews, it largely the responsibility of the synagogue to provide a POSITIVE experience in being religious, and that means that orthodox synagogues (I live in an area where orthodoxy is the norm) have to drop the current trend towards synagogues being places for only ascetic prayer, and start providing forums for socialization and having fun, or you are going to BORE people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SJ, you rock. But you have to have rachmanas (mercy) when you talk about other yiddin. They're all good. You shouldn't judge people even when they judge you. Face it. They have problems when it comes to answering your questions. And you have so many! Which is Good!

The irony here is that one of the greatest problems in the Jewish community is the dearth of nice Jewish boys for all of the single nice Jewish girls (orthodox).

Which is ridiculous, of course, and wouldn't be a problem if this crazy nation could see itself as One People. Don't hold your breath.

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

Wait a sex. You start up with the girl, she says no thanks and she's guilty?

And then, just to prove her point, you go on and on complaining not just about her but about all religious girls, even the ones you haven't met.

Then you talk about how lousy life would be living with a religious girl when (a) you clearly aren't aiming for that crowd and (b) that crowd certainly isn't aiming for you, but you've managed to create a fictional lousy religious wife so you can condemn her too.

> The thing is she thinks she is punishing me by not being friends with me anymore. Oh no, I can just feel the pain now.

No, I think she's trying to hint to you that you're not a lot of fun to be around and she can't be bothered putting up with your tzurus.

SJ said...

Garnel- as a friend I would have changed the subject should she have asked. as a friend, she should have asked.

zachdus- thanks for your kind complement. and btw, I'm kinda passed the skeptic stage and more on the dissenter stage.

>> The irony here is that one of the greatest problems in the Jewish community is the dearth of nice Jewish boys for all of the single nice Jewish girls (orthodox).

Well yeah, probably alot to do with the complete lack of understanding on their part which I described. Religious girls have absolutely no rachameim for guys who are not completely religious.

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

No, the problem is that during the brainwashing year in Israel, boys and girls are each taught that there is a particular ideal in a partner they are supposedly deserving of. Kind of like when you watch a sit-com on TV and think "Wow, if only I could met a boy/girl like that." Well, that's TV and you know no one is really like that but these kids come home believing this ideal and that they're not to settle for anything less. The girls have a pre-packaged idea of what they want and so do the boys. It's shame, really.